Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Winter's coming

I can see the snow on the mountain tops. We are all fighting off colds. Sure signs that Old Man Winter is on his way. The temps are still reasonably normal during the day, but we have to get the wood burner going at night. The maple tree in our front yard is getting red. Last year, a man stopped in our driveway to ask what kind of tree it was. Most leaves just stay green and drop off here, so the red maple really jumps out at you. I miss the glorious colors of Michigan in the fall. The drive up to Traverse City is one of the most breathtaking sights I have ever seen.
I am amazed at the number of gulls I have seen lately. I must have missed this last year, because I am constantly amazed at how many there are. In the early morning, standing on my front porch I can here the cacophony of their calls down on the water. I wonder if they are getting ready to go south or just finding lots to nibble on down at the mudflats?

No comments: