Thursday, January 28, 2010

Winter Blahs







Winter weather that is too cold to be out for long, but not cold enough for snow, is just a drag. I think we are all feeling a little cabin feverish around here. It has been very rainy and damp, but not quite cold enough for snow. Noah and I are waiting for a nice clear evening so we can go out star gazing. We found a cool website that just requires your zipcode and they give you a pretty clear picture of what you should be seeing in the nighttime sky. So, roll on clouds and give us a glimpse.



Our homeschool group had it's first Laboratory Science class last Saturday. Pam Fredericksen taught it. Science is a passion of hers, and she is such an excellent teacher! They completed three whole lessons at one time. It was so good to hear her talk about how God had created what they were talking about, which was an eyeball, in a perfect way. They dissected it while us moms sat in the other room. Thankfully, the preserving method did not use formaldehyde, which makes me gag, so I was able to sneak in and take a few pictures. Parents of public schooled children miss out on so much of this kind of thing. I am so thankful we have the opportunity to school our kids at home.



The homeschool group will also be doing a literature class that I will be teaching. I ordered the books this week, so hopefully we will get that started soon as well. We will be reading The Bronze Bow, a historical novel set in the time of Christ. I haven't decided how we will record what we have discussed yet. Our last foray into literature, A Wrinkle in Time, we made lapbooks. The kids seemed to enjoy that, so maybe another one. I'll keep praying on it.






I realized I didn't post our Rule #2 last week. It was "We love, honor and pray for one another" and we memorized Romans 12:10 "Love each other with genuine affection and take delight in honoring each other."



I think we probably could use another week of working on this one.

No comments: