Thursday, January 14, 2010


I had the awesome opportunity to practice the spiritual discipline of fasting today. I fasted and prayed for a friend who is going through a "dark night of the soul". Fasting has been one of the hardest disciplines for me to partake in on a regular basis. I am humbled at how the Lord meets me when I take the time to deny myself and focus on spending time with him.

My children get a kick out of "catching" me praying, as I usually go into the laundry room (the one place no one will follow me) and shut the door to pray. I can hear them tip-toe to the door to see if they can hear me or not. What a joy to know they will have a legacy of prayer. I have heard so many stories of men and women who can look back on their younger years and find peace in memories of mom and dad praying. I hope my children can look back and find joy in knowing we were lifting them up to the Throne of Grace.


We are finishing up Ancient Greece in our studies and moving on to Rome. I am so thankful for finding Sonlight. It really does everything I have tried to do over our homeschooling career. It gives me a solid spine of chronological (mostly) history that I can add and subtract from. Some of the readers have been more interesting than others, and some we have abandoned altogether, but overall, the literature choices have been wonderful. I wish I had known about it earlier in our homeschool experience, but Father God knew I would appreciate it more after trying it on my own, I guess.


We are also working the Apologia Science General Science book. The first unit has been quite a challenge, covering scientists and dates. We will have a unit test on Friday so we'll see how it goes. I know the kids are looking forward to something other than names and dates.


Today we began a family learning on The 21 Rules of This House. We are looking up Bible verses to back each rule and trying to memorize them. We hope to accomplish one a week. This weeks rule: We will obey God John 15:10 "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love," what a wonderful promise!

2 comments:

Luke Holzmann said...

Glad to hear Sonlight has been a blessing for your family! Keep up the great work [smile].

~Luke

Stacey said...

You go girl. I glad that you are enjoying the school year. Keep up the good work. I like the 21 rules of the house. Keep posting about them I would like to see how that goes and what you are learning.
Love ya,
The Question Queen